Family Celebrates ESF Legacy
ESF and military service are hallmark of Shearer family
Thomas D. Shearer Jr, '49, shares educational and military background with his three sons. He shared this information:
"My three sons followed me and attended the College of Environmental Science and Forestry. I graduated with many military veterans of World War II in the general forestry class of 1949. My sons, Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1978; Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981; and Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, each graduated with a forest engineering degree. My sons also followed my example and gained military experience in the U.S. Air Force. Thomas earned the rank of colonel; Richard, major; and Daniel, captain.
I am retired after 54 years with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. During those years I had casual business contact with 14 graduates of the 1949 class and two college professors. At the present time, my son Thomas continues affiliation with the U.S. Air Force. Richard is employed with the NYS DEC, and Daniel serves with ARINC Engineering Services LLC, Annapolis, Md."
Our most memorable ESF experience involves the many outstanding individuals at the college and the lasting friendships established.
Pictured, from left, are Thomas D. Shearer III, class of 1978, forest engineering; Richard D. Shearer, class of 1982, forest engineering; Thomas D. Shearer, class of 1949, general forestry; and Daniel C. Shearer, class of 1981, forest engineering."
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oak Monday: Ashley Carter
- ESF’s Office of Research Programs Receives Partnership Excellence Award
- Alumni Spotlight: Bob Florence ’82
- Stanford’s List of World’s Top-Cited Scientists includes 34 from ESF
- Mighty Oak Monday: Abishek Poudel
- ESF Cross Country Teams Repeat As National Champs
- ESF President Joanie Mahoney Honored for Sustainability in the Built Environment
- Mighty Oak Monday: Daniel Ricci
- Staff Spotlight: Kathy Lang
- ESF Ranked Top 3 Green College for 2023
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches New Website
- ESF’s Isabel Valentín Featured in Vogue
- Staff Spotlight: Michelle Fay
- Alumni Spotlight: Nicole Cleary, ’12
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Environmental Award
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210