ESF Remembers 9/11
Campus community came together during time of national tragedy
"The tragic events of Sept. 11 touched us all and have forever changed the lives of both the American people and our friends throughout the world. What has not changed, however, is the indomitable spirit of the ESF community."
This was the message President Neil Murphy sent to the ESF family via the fall 2001 edition of Inside ESF.
Soon after the first plane hit the World Trade Center, the television from the Office of News and Publications - the only television in the building - was moved into the Bray Hall Rotunda and soon students, faculty, and staff were gathered around the 24-inch screen watching events unfold.
Campus staff mobilized to set up a gathering place for students in Alumni Lounge. Televisions were set up and telephone lines were made available for students to contact family members. Food was brought in, and faculty and staff volunteered to be on site.
Approximately 70 students, transported in ESF vans with volunteer drivers, went to the Red Cross to donate blood. Members of the Physical Plant staff hung American flags at numerous locations on campus.
The next day, students and staff organized a candlelight vigil on the ESF Quad at 1 p.m. Following the vigil, one candle was kept lighted. It was this ESF candle that was used to light the first candle in the Syracuse University service that began at 8 p.m.
Recent ESF News
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
- American Fisheries Society Honors Ringler
- ESF Hosts Largest-Ever Incoming International Class
- ESF Hosts Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210