Long Lines, Computer Punchcards Were Hallmarks of Registration
Registration workers help students pick classes for coming semester
Registration workers in 1977 helped 1,800 students fill out all the necessary forms in two days rather than the three days of past years, according to information from the ESF College Archives. According to then-Admissions Director Robert L. Friedman, more than 1,900 people applied for admission as freshmen.
"Most of the freshman class comes from New York state," he said, "and the overall academic credentials of the freshmen are exemplary: the mean high school average is 91.3 and the math/science average is 92.1."
Today students register online from the comfort and convenience of their dorm room or wherever they're sitting with their laptops, smartphones, or iPads. Today's freshmen class is 56 percent female, putting women in the class majority for only the second time in the College's 100-year history (the first was in 2009). Twenty-five percent of the class is from outside New York state.
The freshmen enter ESF with the highest high school grades and college entrance examination scores (SAT/ACT) of any class on record.
However, you might be hardpressed to find a freshman who knows what a punchcard is.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210