ESF's 2008 Feinstone Speaker Tapped as President's Top Science Advisor
Dr. John Holdren is chosen for the Obama administration.
President Barack Obama has announced his appointment of Dr. John Holdren, who spoke at ESF in October, to high-ranking science advisory positions in the new administration.
Holdren has been chosen as Assistant to the President for Science and Technology, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, and Co-Chair of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST).
Holdren addressed the ESF campus community in October 2008 on the topic of "Science and Economics of Sustainability: Managing the Competing Uses of Land, Water, and Forests Under a Changing Climate." He was also the featured speaker at the ESF Foundation's 2008 Sol Feinstone Environmental Awards Dinner, at which ESF alumni Jesse M. Fink and Elizabeth C. "Betsy" Mitchell-Fink were honored for their work advancing environmental entrepreneurship.
Holdren is the Teresa and John Heinz Professor of Environmental Policy at Harvard University and director of the Woods Hole Research Center in Falmouth, Mass. He previously was a member of President Clinton's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210