ESF’s Environmental Challenge Takes Over Carrier Dome
Hundreds of students bring the field of science to the football field.
Five hundred students from 10 middle schools in the City of Syracuse participated in the Environmental Challenge science fair sponsored by the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry March 14.
The event, held in the Carrier Dome because the number of participants outgrew the previous venue on the ESF campus, is in its 11th year of challenging students to take a step beyond the typical science fair and fashion their projects around environmental topics.
"We need you to show us what's important to you as we go forward," said ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., in his welcome to the young scientists. "We are going to be relying on you to lead us through future environmental challenges."
The Environmental Challenge is designed to encourage student projects that support and extend the seventh/eighth-grade grade science curriculum; foster student and teacher research, scientific inquiry, and critical thinking; expand student exploration of science, engineering, and related careers and educational interests; and increase student exploration and understanding of the urban environment and its relationship to the global environment.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210