Mighty Oaks Fall in Soccer Semifinal
West Virginia University Institute of Technology Wins 6-0
The ESF Mighty Oaks men's soccer team lost 6-0 to the second-seeded Golden Bears of West Virginia University Institute of Technology Friday in the semifinals of the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) National Championship Tournament.
The Golden Bears had a 3-0 lead at halftime and scored three more goals in the second half. The West Virginia team outshot the Mighty Oaks 21-3.
"Today's game was tough," ESF Coach Dan Ramin said. "We played a very good team with scholarship players. Our season really culminated in a great upset win on Thursday. The guys played with a great deal of heart all season and they certainly brought that spirit with them to this tournament. We had a great season."
The sixth-seeded Mighty Oaks had earned a spot in the semifinal by upsetting the third-seeded Concordia College Hornets 3-0 in a first-round game Thursday. The Golden Bears won their first-round game over Penn College 10-0.
In other first-round action Thursday, top-seeded University of Maine Fort Kent defeated Warren Wilson College 3-0 and Briarcliff College topped NHTI, Concord's Community College of New Hampshire, 3-0.
The championship game is set for 1 p.m. Saturday at Warren Wilson College in Asheville, N.C.
The Mighty Oaks were invited to the tournament in only their third season as a varsity intercollegiate team.
Recent ESF News
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
- Dr. Kimmerer Elected Member of American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- ESF Launches Master of Engineering Degree
- Paper Engineering Students Give Office Paper Second Life
- Mighty Oaks Track Team Returns to the Track
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Recycling Website on Earth Day
- City and County Mark April 22 as SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210