ESF's Avian Fuel Honored at Duck Race
Solar-powered fuel cell duck best represents company's mission
SYRACUSE - ESF's entry in the Community Wide Dialogue's Duck Race to End Racism received special honors during Saturday's race.
The ESF duck, Avian Fuel, was honored with Duck Best Representing the Company's Mission. Avian Fuel sported a solar-powered fuel cell car on his back. This is the third year ESF has received this award. It is the sixth year the ESF duck has not won.
Avian Fuel was engineered by Mark Storrings of ESF's Department of Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering. Storrings also designed the 2006 Sol-R-Duck, with its solar-powered quacking, and Sun-of-Sol-R-Duck in 2008 that sported a solar-powered LED screen, that scrolled the message, "SUNY-ESF … Improve Your World … End Racism." Both ducks received honors for "best representing the company's work."
This year's duck received its festive bubble motif design from Wendy Osborne, graphic designer and artist-in-residence in the Office of Communications. She took home "most finely crafted duck" honors for Envira Duck, the college's entry in the 2007 duck race.
The Duck Race to End Racism is an annual event that brings together all parts of the community for an afternoon of fun. Prizes are awarded to the sponsor of the duck that crosses the finish line first. In addition to the main attraction of the race, the day will include entertainment, information booths for community organizations, and free ice cream.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210