New York Sea Grant Seeks Students to Work as Launch Stewards
Students will provide outreach to boaters regarding invasive species
ESF students have the opportunity to spend the summer of 2013 working outdoors as Launch Stewards at venues in Wayne, Cayuga, Oswego and Jefferson counties, including on Sodus Bay, Henderson Harbor, Oneida Lake, and the Salmon River Reservoir.
The student-stewards, working under the leadership of New York Sea Grant (NYSG), will provide public outreach to boaters on ways to minimize and prevent aquatic invasive species in local waters. They will participate in educational outreach, watercraft inspection demonstrations, data collection, and reporting.
The stewards also write informational articles published by local media outlets, including the Oswego County Weeklies, Jefferson County Journal, and Lure of the Lake.
New York Sea Grant Coastal Community Development Specialist Mary Penney will supervise the Launch Stewards. Uniforms will be provided to help the public identify the stewards and they will use a standardized protocol New York Sea Grant has helped develop for water steward programs statewide.
The full PDF announcement of the New York Sea Grant Launch Steward opportunity with position description and qualifications is online at www.nyseagrant.org/coastalcomm/pdfs/NYSGLaunchStewRecruit2013.pdf.
Applications will be accepted online at email@example.com until positions are filled. For details, contact Penney at New York Sea Grant, SUNY Oswego, 315-315-3042.
NYSG, a cooperative program of Cornell University and the State University of New York, is one of 33 university-based programs under the National Sea Grant College Program of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Through its statewide network of integrated services, NYSG has been promoting coastal vitality, environmental sustainability and citizen awareness about the state's marine and Great Lakes resources since 1971.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210