Teachers Ship Out on EPA Lake Guardian
ESF participates in Great Lakes education program
Fifteen elementary-to-high-school teachers from five states played the role of students last week, cruising aboard the 180-foot Lake Guardian, a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) research vessel, on Lake Ontario last week as part of a teacher-education project.
As part of a New York Sea Grant (NYSG) teach-the-teachers project, the educators from Illinois, Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania worked alongside Dr. Gregory Boyer, chair of the ESF Department of
Chemistry and director of the Great Lakes Research Consortium; Dr. John Farrell, director of ESF's Thousand Islands Biological Station; EPA scientists; and Dr. Michael Twiss of Clarkson University.
NYSG provided the teachers with a stipend to develop classroom curricula and stewardship projects with guidance from NYSG Coastal Education Specialist Helen Domske.
The seven-day Shipboard and Shoreline Science workshop has funding through the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.
The Lake Guardian research vessel rotates through the Great Lakes on a five-year cycle.
During the Lake Ontario tour, the teachers assisted with collecting water and bottom sediment samples at numerous nearshore and offshore field stations including sites near Toronto, Rochester, Oswego, Clayton and the Thousand Islands Biological Station.
The Lake Guardian is the only self-contained non-polluting vessel on the Great Lakes.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210