Smardon Appointed Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council Chair
ESF professor has served on council since 1989
Dr. Richard C. Smardon, ESF professor of environmental studies, has been appointed chair of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council (GLBAC) by New York Gov. David Patterson. Smardon has been a member of the council since 1989 as a governor's appointment for research.
The role of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council is to advise the governor and legislature on Great Lakes policy issues. Currently, the GLBAC is conducting workshops around the state on the Great Lakes Compact, which will regulate all major Great Lakes out-of-basin water transfers. The state has to develop an implementation plan, so the council is collecting reactions to a series of white papers.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210