Smardon Appointed Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council Chair
ESF professor has served on council since 1989
Dr. Richard C. Smardon, ESF professor of environmental studies, has been appointed chair of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council (GLBAC) by New York Gov. David Patterson. Smardon has been a member of the council since 1989 as a governor's appointment for research.
The role of the New York State Great Lakes Basin Advisory Council is to advise the governor and legislature on Great Lakes policy issues. Currently, the GLBAC is conducting workshops around the state on the Great Lakes Compact, which will regulate all major Great Lakes out-of-basin water transfers. The state has to develop an implementation plan, so the council is collecting reactions to a series of white papers.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210