ESF Alumnus, Dr. Jean Fréchet, Named Influential Scientist
Graduate recognized for work in field of materials and production
Dr. Jean M.J. Frechet, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was listed as one of the "50 most influential scientists in the world today" by TheBestSchools.org.
Frechet (M.S. '69, Ph.D., '71) studied chemistry at ESF with Dr. Conrad Schuerch, a renowned chemistry professor who was known for his work in polymer, carbohydrate and wood chemistry. Frechet, who also holds a doctorate from Syracuse University, is vice president for research at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia and the Henry Rapoport Chair of Organic Chemistry in the department of chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley. He has served as an advisor to several global companies, including Unilever, IBM Corporation, Xerox and DuPont.
He was a recipient of the 2013 Japan Prize, one of the most prestigious international awards in science and technology for outstanding achievement in the "development of chemically amplified resist polymer materials for innovative semiconductor manufacturing processes."
Frechet holds more than 70 U.S. patents with research conducted in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, nanoscience, and nanotechnology, in which he has authored nearly 800 articles, with a major emphasis on the design, fundamental understanding, synthesis, and applications of functional macromolecules.
TheBestSchools.org is an online education resource. It is an independent organization with editors familiar with the academic world and having experience in teaching, research, and publishing at the university level.
The full list is at http://www.thebestschools.org/features/50-influential-scientists-world-today/.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210