ESF Alumnus, Dr. Jean Fréchet, Named Influential Scientist
Graduate recognized for work in field of materials and production
Dr. Jean M.J. Frechet, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was listed as one of the "50 most influential scientists in the world today" by TheBestSchools.org.
Frechet (M.S. '69, Ph.D., '71) studied chemistry at ESF with Dr. Conrad Schuerch, a renowned chemistry professor who was known for his work in polymer, carbohydrate and wood chemistry. Frechet, who also holds a doctorate from Syracuse University, is vice president for research at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia and the Henry Rapoport Chair of Organic Chemistry in the department of chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley. He has served as an advisor to several global companies, including Unilever, IBM Corporation, Xerox and DuPont.
He was a recipient of the 2013 Japan Prize, one of the most prestigious international awards in science and technology for outstanding achievement in the "development of chemically amplified resist polymer materials for innovative semiconductor manufacturing processes."
Frechet holds more than 70 U.S. patents with research conducted in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, nanoscience, and nanotechnology, in which he has authored nearly 800 articles, with a major emphasis on the design, fundamental understanding, synthesis, and applications of functional macromolecules.
TheBestSchools.org is an online education resource. It is an independent organization with editors familiar with the academic world and having experience in teaching, research, and publishing at the university level.
The full list is at http://www.thebestschools.org/features/50-influential-scientists-world-today/.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
- Governor Appoints New Trustees to ESF Board
- ESF Represented at Bioeconomy Conference
- Great Lakes Research Consortium Awards Funding to Five Projects
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food Security
- Community Invited to ESF to Share Ideas About Future of Erie Canal
- ESF Professor Honored by Russian University
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210