ESF Alumnus, Dr. Jean Fréchet, Named Influential Scientist
Graduate recognized for work in field of materials and production
Dr. Jean M.J. Frechet, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was listed as one of the "50 most influential scientists in the world today" by TheBestSchools.org.
Frechet (M.S. '69, Ph.D., '71) studied chemistry at ESF with Dr. Conrad Schuerch, a renowned chemistry professor who was known for his work in polymer, carbohydrate and wood chemistry. Frechet, who also holds a doctorate from Syracuse University, is vice president for research at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia and the Henry Rapoport Chair of Organic Chemistry in the department of chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley. He has served as an advisor to several global companies, including Unilever, IBM Corporation, Xerox and DuPont.
He was a recipient of the 2013 Japan Prize, one of the most prestigious international awards in science and technology for outstanding achievement in the "development of chemically amplified resist polymer materials for innovative semiconductor manufacturing processes."
Frechet holds more than 70 U.S. patents with research conducted in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, nanoscience, and nanotechnology, in which he has authored nearly 800 articles, with a major emphasis on the design, fundamental understanding, synthesis, and applications of functional macromolecules.
TheBestSchools.org is an online education resource. It is an independent organization with editors familiar with the academic world and having experience in teaching, research, and publishing at the university level.
The full list is at http://www.thebestschools.org/features/50-influential-scientists-world-today/.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210