ESF Alumnus, Dr. Jean Fréchet, Named Influential Scientist
Graduate recognized for work in field of materials and production
Dr. Jean M.J. Frechet, an alumnus of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was listed as one of the "50 most influential scientists in the world today" by TheBestSchools.org.
Frechet (M.S. '69, Ph.D., '71) studied chemistry at ESF with Dr. Conrad Schuerch, a renowned chemistry professor who was known for his work in polymer, carbohydrate and wood chemistry. Frechet, who also holds a doctorate from Syracuse University, is vice president for research at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia and the Henry Rapoport Chair of Organic Chemistry in the department of chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley. He has served as an advisor to several global companies, including Unilever, IBM Corporation, Xerox and DuPont.
He was a recipient of the 2013 Japan Prize, one of the most prestigious international awards in science and technology for outstanding achievement in the "development of chemically amplified resist polymer materials for innovative semiconductor manufacturing processes."
Frechet holds more than 70 U.S. patents with research conducted in organic synthesis, polymer chemistry, nanoscience, and nanotechnology, in which he has authored nearly 800 articles, with a major emphasis on the design, fundamental understanding, synthesis, and applications of functional macromolecules.
TheBestSchools.org is an online education resource. It is an independent organization with editors familiar with the academic world and having experience in teaching, research, and publishing at the university level.
The full list is at http://www.thebestschools.org/features/50-influential-scientists-world-today/.
Recent ESF News
- Senate Hearing on Renewable Energy at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Topple Paul Smith's College in Overtime
- On the Land, One-quarter of Vertebrates Die Because of Humans
- Fulbright Scholar Picks ESF for Study of Genetic Engineering Technique
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210