ESF Celebrates Darwin Day
Evolutionary biology put in spotlight
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will highlight research in evolutionary biology in conjunction with Darwin Day.
Students taking Evolution (EFB 311) have created mini-posters highlighting some of the past year's most compelling research in evolutionary biology.
The posters will be on display in Moon Library until late February. During the Feb. 12 College Hour - which is also Darwin Day - Moon Library will be giving away a permanent book plate in honor of the occasion. The library will also be featuring a display of books by and about Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace.
Darwin Day is celebrated around the world each year, around Feb. 12, Darwin's birthday. Darwin and Wallace were the first to describe biological evolution via natural selection in a scientifically rigorous way. In 1859, Darwin published On the Origin of Species. Darwin Day celebrates this and other discoveries of Darwin.
"Darwin Day is a way of expressing our gratitude for the enormous benefits that scientific knowledge, acquired through human curiosity and ingenuity, has contributed to the advancement of humanity," said Jessica Clemons, assistant librarian.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210