ESF American Chestnut Project Supports Relay for Life
Seedlings to be given to cancer survivors
The American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry is participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Madison County May 31.
During the annual awareness/fundraising event, ESF will give out American chestnut seedlings to the cancer survivors in attendance.
"The American chestnut trees in our forests are survivors, too," said Dr. William Powell, a professor and director of the Council on Biotechnology in Forestry at ESF. The chestnut project is donating 125 chestnut seedlings. The group will also have information about The American Chestnut Foundation available, along with an educational display.
Cancer survivors, caregivers, sponsors, teams and community members will come together for the American Cancer Society's 11th annual Relay For Life of Madison County May 31 through June 1.
"Relay For Life is a fun, family-focused event where the community comes together in the fight against cancer," said Jennifer Armlin, Relay For Life chairman. "So many lives are touched by cancer. We Relay so that someday we will be able to eliminate this disease forever."
This year's American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Madison County hopes to raise over $100,000 for cancer research and programs that help cancer patients. Last year 122 survivors walked the track celebrating their courageous battle against cancer.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210