ESF American Chestnut Project Supports Relay for Life
Seedlings to be given to cancer survivors
The American Chestnut Research and Restoration Project at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry is participating in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life in Madison County May 31.
During the annual awareness/fundraising event, ESF will give out American chestnut seedlings to the cancer survivors in attendance.
"The American chestnut trees in our forests are survivors, too," said Dr. William Powell, a professor and director of the Council on Biotechnology in Forestry at ESF. The chestnut project is donating 125 chestnut seedlings. The group will also have information about The American Chestnut Foundation available, along with an educational display.
Cancer survivors, caregivers, sponsors, teams and community members will come together for the American Cancer Society's 11th annual Relay For Life of Madison County May 31 through June 1.
"Relay For Life is a fun, family-focused event where the community comes together in the fight against cancer," said Jennifer Armlin, Relay For Life chairman. "So many lives are touched by cancer. We Relay so that someday we will be able to eliminate this disease forever."
This year's American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Madison County hopes to raise over $100,000 for cancer research and programs that help cancer patients. Last year 122 survivors walked the track celebrating their courageous battle against cancer.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210