Student Home Design Looking for a Builder
Land Bank Congratulates Local Students on National Award for Net-Zero Home Design
The video originally included in this story is no longer available via this page. Contact email@example.com if more information is required.Copyright © All Rights Reserved by copyright holder
A team of students from SUNY ESF, Onondaga Community College, and Syracuse University was recently named winner in a national competition held by the Department of Energy and the National Association of Homebuilders. The team won the grand award in the single-family detached home category for its Craftsman-style, sustainable design.
They designed the home for a Land Bank-owned vacant lot at 201-205 Hubbell Avenue in Syracuse's Strathmore neighborhood. The home is designed to be capable of net-zero energy consumption, accessible to persons of all physical abilities, affordable to a homeowner making the area median income for Onondaga County, and compatible with the neighborhood's architecture.
Furthermore "infill" construction on buildable lots in urbanized areas supports Smart Growth patterns and reduction in energy usage for transportation. The Greater Syracuse Land Bank seeks to encourage this kind of development within existing neighborhoods.
The team hopes a local builder will complete the project, which they estimate can be built and sold for $190,000. Vito Sciscioli, chair of the Land Bank's board of directors, points out that many Land Bank-owned properties would support this kind of sustainable infill construction.
The full selection can be viewed on its website at www.syracuselandbank.org.
An event that included speakers from the student design team, SUNY-ESF, the Greater Syracuse Land Bank, and the Syracuse Onondaga County Planning Agency was held May 8th at the property to celebrate the team's victory and promote this development opportunity to local builders.
The team's competition sponsors include Home Builders and Remodelers of Central New York, Central New York Center of Excellence, King + King Architects, Hueber-Breuer, QPK Design, Parsons-McKenna, Destiny USA, and Home HeadQuarters.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Weather Alert: Dangerously Cold Wind
- Dr. Chang Geun Yoo Receives NSF CAREER Award
- New SUNY Chancellor John B. King Visits ESF
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Statewide Zero Waste Call for Projects
- Staff Spotlight: Tyler Dorholt
- Mighty Oak Monday: Alex Paonessa
- Dr. Fred Agyeman Earns Honorable Mention for SUNY Chancellorís Distinguished PhD Dissertation
- ESF Adds EV Truck to Its University Police Fleet
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks ESF Among Best Online Programs
- Tell an Inspiring Story to Help Move the Planet Forward
- Staff Spotlight: Jacob Gedetsis
- ESF Chestnut Project Seeks Public Comment
- ESF Welcomes New Students for Spring Semester
- Governor Hochul Announces Green Purchasing Communities Program
- ESF Joins Global Alliance, Pledging Commitment to Protect Nature
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210