Mighty Oaks Run to Stay on Top of USCAA
Season gets underway Aug. 30
ESF's successful Mighty Oaks cross-country teams will begin the fall 2014 season with a meet Aug. 30 at the SUNY Institute of Technology at Utica/Rome. The women will run at 11 a.m. and the men's race will be at noon.
The men's team starts the season as the three-time defending national champion in the U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association. The team captured its third national title last November, when the meet was hosted by ESF at Drumlins. The women's team finished second in the national meet last year and has finished in the top three for three straight years.
''We're very optimistic. We have several men returning from last year's national championship team and several women coming back from the team that finished second at last year's national championship," said Coach John View. "We also have several talented first-year students and a new transfer student who will be a strong addition to the women's team."
Strong runners expected to lead the men's team this season are Timmy Callahan, Brian Busby, Tom Arcuri and Michael Persson. For the women's team, Lauren Lynn, Alison Cronk, Emma Pitman and Cambria Zeimer and transfer student Andrea Szewczyk are expected to be strong contributors.
The runners will take on D-II competition Sept. 27 at the Harry S. Anderson Invitational in Rochester.
"That will be a good test of the program," View said.
He also expects strong competition at the Paul Short Run Oct. 4. The Mighty Oaks will be able to send only the eight strongest men and women runners. "It's one of the most prestigious, oldest cross-country races in the country," View said.
Both teams hope to wrap up their seasons at the USCAA national championship, which will again be hosted by ESF. The race will be Nov. 7 at Drumlins.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210