Men's Soccer Team Loses a Heartbreaker to OCC
'King of the Hill' title gets away in final seconds
The ESF men's soccer team was defeated by Onondaga Community College, 3-2, in the annual King of the Hill Cup Sept. 22.
The Mighty Oaks got off to a quick start with a goal by Owen Hennigan nearly four minutes into the game. The first half was evenly matched and OCC tied up the score off a rebound at the 30-minute mark. At halftime, the score was tied 1-1.
The momentum in the beginning of the second half belonged to OCC, with the Lazers scoring on a penalty kick in the 62nd minute. The Mighty Oaks refused to give up, constantly pressuring and attacking the OCC defense until a penalty kick was awarded to ESF and punched in by Kyle Bardwell at the 84th minute.
Unfortunately a defensive lapse by ESF in the waning seconds gave OCC a free kick, which it converted into the game-winning goal.
The men's soccer team looks to get back on the winning track Sept. 24 when it faces Penn College.
Recent ESF News
- Annual Career Fair Connects Students and Employers
- Senator Schumer, ESF Officials Support Northern Forest Research Initiative
- ESF Students Sustain with Stories
- Community invited to participate in Westcott Nation research project
- ESF, Clarkson University Name Co-Directors of Center of Excellence on Healthy Water Solutions
- ESF Becomes Tobacco-free Campus
- ESF Professor Joins in Discovery of Thought-to-be Extinct Tortoise
- Dr. Robin Kimmerer’s Braiding Sweetgrass Hits New York Times Best Sellers List
- Articulation Agreement Creates Seamless Pathway from OCC to ESF
- ESF Professor Wins National Award
- Dr. Lemir Teron to Be Honored as Unsung Hero
- New Department Name Reflects Growth in Academic Programs
- ‘Transformational’ Gift from Templeton Foundation Supports Chestnut Restoration
- ESF Professor’s Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics
- AIC Hosts First Day Hike in the Adirondacks
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210