Women's Soccer Team Comes from Behind to Defeat Alfred
Cuddihy, Carl lead Mighty Oaks with two goals each
Still recalling its bitter 4-1 defeat at the hands of Alfred State in the USCAA Nationals in 2013, the women's soccer team came out on the field with a chip on its shoulder in its rematch vs the Lady Pioneers Oct. 5.
Looking to making a strong first impression and wipe out any memory of last year's defeat, the Mighty Oaks jumped to a quick 2-0 lead with goals by freshman Rachel Truska (her first collegiate goal) and sophomore Heather Carl. The Lady Pioneers would not go down quietly, however, adding two goals of their own and tying the game 2-2 at half time.
At the beginning of the second half, the Lady Pioneers added another goal making the score 3-2. At this point, the Mighty Oaks went into domination mode, knocking in three goals and shutting down the Lady Pioneers. Two goals were scored by senior Captain Bridget Cuddihy and Carl netted another goal at the 85th minute, adding insurance for the Mighty Oaks with a great comeback 5-3 win.
Cuddihy said, "We came out in the second half composed and ready to pick up the pace of the game. Our speed gave us intense offensive pressure, and our defense shut their forwards down. We proved that we were the better team on the field today."
The women's soccer team looks to defend its reign at the Barkeater Cup at Paul Smith's College Oct. 10.
Recent ESF News
- Senate Hearing on Renewable Energy at ESF
- Mighty Oaks Topple Paul Smith's College in Overtime
- On the Land, One-quarter of Vertebrates Die Because of Humans
- Fulbright Scholar Picks ESF for Study of Genetic Engineering Technique
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210