Korean Edition of "Challenging the Chip" Published
Translation of book on electronics and environmental justice
A translated, Korean edition of Challenging the Chip: Labor Rights and Environmental Justice in the Global Electronics Industry, edited by Ted Smith, David A. Sonnenfeld, and David Naguib Pellow (Temple University Press, 2006), was published this month in Seoul, Korea, by May Day Publishers.
Sonnenfeld, professor and chair of environmental studies at ESF, is a contributing editor of the original work, published in collaboration with the International Campaign for Responsible Technology, a global network of academics and grassroots environmental organizations. Also contributing to the volume is ESF alumna, Dr. Wen-ling Tu, MS '96, co-founder of the Taiwan Environmental Action Network (TEAN), currently Associate Professor of Environmental Policy and Management, Shih-Hsin University, Taiwan.
The book examines occupational and community health, and environmental justice issues involving electronics manufacturing and consumption, as well as the "tsunami" of hazardous electronic waste (e-waste) now confronting communities around the world.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210