N.Y. Gov. Paterson at ESF to Announce Solar Energy Initiative
Governor calls College 'catalyst' for green economy
The video associated with this story has been removed. Contact email@example.com if you need further information.
N.Y. Gov. David Paterson visited SUNY-ESF today (Jan. 27, 2010) to announce a major energy initiative that would lead to the installation of up to 100 megawatts of solar photovoltaic systems at public buildings throughout the state.
Paterson said the photovoltaic arrays would be installed in schools and government buildings by 2014, increasing by five times the amount of solar energy currently produced in the state.
"ESF is the catalyst of the green economy here in Central New York," the governor said. "Today we are actually going to make history as we embark on an unprecedented clean-energy initiative."
Paterson said a request for proposals was issued today. Richard Kessel, president and chief executive officer of the New York Power Authority, said responses are due back on Earth Day, April 22, and that work should begin by the end of the year. Kessel said the project would not only help protect the environment but also create jobs and position New York as a leader in the development of sustainable and renewable energy sources.
Dozens of elected officials and business and civic leaders gathered in ESF's Bray Hall rotunda for the announcement.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210