EFB Studentís Research Poster Receives Top Honors
Senior Emily Hall honored for work during REU program
ESF Senior Emily Hall received the award for the best poster for the Division of Invertebrate Zoology at the National Meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology in West Palm Beach, Fla.
Hall, an environmental and forest biology major and member of the ESF Honors Program, participated in the National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at the College of Charleston in the summer of 2014. The program gives undergraduates real-world and hands-on experience in scientific research and supports active research participation by students in any of the areas of research funded by the NSF.
Hall's poster presented her work on, "A Test of Genetic Variation for Resistance to Effects of Seawater Acidification on the Skeletal Development of Sea Urchin Larvae." Her poster was chosen for the honor from among scores of prosters presented by undergraduates, graduate students and professors.
Hall studied how marine organisms might respond to a more acidic ocean. Ocean acidification, considered "the other CO2 problem" in addition to climate change, is caused when the ocean absorbs carbon dioxide emissions from the atmosphere. That absorbed carbon dioxide reacts with seawater to form carbonic acid, making the ocean more acidic.
Recent ESF News
- ESF To Award First Online Sustainability Management Degree Saturday
- ESF Researchers Receive Grants from Northeastern States Research Cooperative
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- Solar Energy Basics Hits 50,000-plus Enrollments
- Dr. Kimmerer Elected Member of American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- ESF Launches Master of Engineering Degree
- Paper Engineering Students Give Office Paper Second Life
- Mighty Oaks Track Team Returns to the Track
- The New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management Launches Recycling Website on Earth Day
- City and County Mark April 22 as SUNY ESF Day
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210