SUNY Chancellor Visits ESF for ‘Speak Out’ with Students
ESF and Oswego students spend 90 minutes with Zimpher
SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher met with three dozen SUNY students Friday (Feb. 27) for a "Student Speak Out," a wide-ranging conversation that focused on the students' experiences in the university system.
The students, about half of came from SUNY Oswego to join their ESF counterparts, were invited to share thoughts about why they chose SUNY, how their experience has been so far and what they expect to get out of their education. They were also invited to comment on how they managed finances, including tuition.
Zimpher said the students she met with in ESF's Gateway Center are among the "best and brightest" of SUNY. She said she would take the students' comments to the state Legislature as budget talks are underway.
"I want to underscore that your voice matters," she said at the start of the 90-minute session. "Tell me, and I will tell the Legislature. I'm listening to help us move forward."
When Zimpher asked the students to mention one concern they would like the Legislature to consider, their comments included support for the Educational Opportunity Program and Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program, scholarships, need-based financial aid, cultural diversity, sustainability, rational tuition, marketing of the system both in the United States and internationally, study-abroad opportunities, access to transportation for students traveling to internships and student-teaching assignments, and new facilities.
Recent ESF News
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210