Curry to Tell Story of ESF Influence on Hyde Park Landscape
Renowned professor to deliver Dale Travis Lecture March 25
George Curry, a Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus at ESF, will deliver the fifth Dale L. Travis Lecture at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 25, in the Gateway Center on the ESF campus.
Curry will speak on research conducted since 1997 by the ESF Department of Landscape Architecture's Center for Cultural Landscape Preservation at the Roosevelt Estate in Hyde Park, N.Y. The talk will focus on landscape evolution beginning in 1887 when James Roosevelt, the father of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, purchased 110 acres above the scenic Hudson River. Curry will discuss the pivotal role the college has had in developing the Hyde Park landscape.
Curry holds the title of Kennedy Distinguished Faculty Chair in Landscape Architecture at ESF. In 2007 he was named Landscape Architecture Educator of the Year by "DesignIntelligence" magazine. In 2008 he earned the Levi L. Smith Civic Education Award and was honored by the Carnegie Foundation as New York Professor of the Year. Curry has been instrumental in revitalizing a number of neighborhoods, including Syracuse's Armory Square. He became a Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1995.
Curry's involvement in cultural landscape preservation research with the National Park Service and the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has been an important professional focus for the last 18 years and will be featured in his talk.
A reception will follow the lecture. Admission to the lecture and reception is free. Parking will be available on campus (see link above for parking information). This event is made possible by the generous support of Dale L. Travis '59, who envisioned the lecture series as a way to inform the general public about ESF's array of research projects.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210