Oakie’s Mascot Madness Run Ends
ESF mascot exits tourney in round 2
Oakie Acorn's run for Mascot Madness glory ended as he was edged out by SUNY New Paltz's Hugo the Hawk in Round 2.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a ninth seed going into the competition. In Round 1, he defeated both SUNY Delhi and Ulster Community College. In Round 2, he received 48.23 percent of the vote against Hugo, the 2013 champion.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions, organized into New York regions, with five rounds.
Forty SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 8. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Oakie not only received support from the ESF community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, but also from a number of community organizations, local sports teams such as the Syracuse Chiefs and Silver Knights, and Syracuse University.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on campus events. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through April 8.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210