Oakie’s Mascot Madness Run Ends
ESF mascot exits tourney in round 2
Oakie Acorn's run for Mascot Madness glory ended as he was edged out by SUNY New Paltz's Hugo the Hawk in Round 2.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a ninth seed going into the competition. In Round 1, he defeated both SUNY Delhi and Ulster Community College. In Round 2, he received 48.23 percent of the vote against Hugo, the 2013 champion.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions, organized into New York regions, with five rounds.
Forty SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 8. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Oakie not only received support from the ESF community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, but also from a number of community organizations, local sports teams such as the Syracuse Chiefs and Silver Knights, and Syracuse University.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on campus events. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through April 8.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210