CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
Program to focus on career aspirations for middle, high school girls
A day-ong summit developed to increase confidence and foster educational and career aspirations in middle and high school girls, organized by Girls Inc. at the YWCA, will come to ESF 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. April 25.
Girls Summit is a career conference created to empower girls with confidence, knowledge and role models essential for making educational and life decisions consistent with personal goals of economic independence, self-sufficiency and equality. The event is open to all girls in the Central New York area, with a particular focus on outreach to the Syracuse inner city.
The summit will consist of an opening ceremony after which each group will rotate through various workshops. Following a lunch break, the assembly will come together for a panel discussion with undergraduate students.
The College Prep Panel will feature students from area colleges and focus on inspiring girls to think about higher education and the critical factors to take into account when considering going to college. Topics will include academic and non-academic skills needed for college, college aspirations and expectations, critical steps for college entry, student financial awareness,and support systems.
During the program, girls will be guided and counseled in learning more about non-traditional career options, the importance of math, science and technology within those careers and how successful women have negotiated life decisions. Women in non-traditional careers, including Dr. Biljana Bujanovic of ESF's Department of Paper and Bioprocess Engineering, will speak with the girls. ESF students will be on hand to help with activities.
The CNY Girls Summit Career Conference is organized by Girls Inc. at the YWCA in collaboration with Pretty Girls Rock and Girl Scouts, and hosted by ESF and the ESF Women's Caucus.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210