Summit Provides Business Opportunities for Minority and Women-Owned Companies
ESF co-sponsors event with SUNY Upstate Medical University and Chamber of Commerce
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and SUNY Upstate Medical University will co-sponsor a summit March 11 that will offer an opportunity for Central New York's public colleges to learn more about the services provided by minority- and woman-owned business enterprises (MWBEs).
At the same time, business owners can become educated about the state processes that lead to certification as a minority- or woman-owned business.
The two SUNY campuses are collaborating with SUNY Central Administration and the Syracuse Chamber of Commerce to host the SUNY Central Region MWBE Summit on the Upstate campus. The event will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Institute for Human Performance building, 505 Irving Ave.
The summit will begin with a welcome from Upstate President David Smith and ESF President Cornelius B. Murphy, Jr., and a videotaped greeting by SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher. In addition to networking and business opportunities, there will be presentations by Vicente Alfonso, university-wide M/WBE specialist; Thomas Hippchen, director of university-wide procurement; and Nancy Fischer, deputy director of the Small Business Division of the Empire State Development Corp.
Representatives from eight regional SUNY campuses and some 40 vendors are expected to attend.
The state Division of Minority and Women-Owned Business Development focuses on promoting equality of economic opportunities for MWBEs and to eliminate barriers to their participation in state contracts. SUNY's policy is to take action to ensure that New York state's certified minority and women-owned businesses have an opportunity to demonstrate their ability to provide the university with commodities and services at competitive prices.
Those wishing to register or obtain further information can go to www.esf.edu/mwbetradefair.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
- CCLP Honored for Landscape Preservation Project in California
- American Fisheries Society Honors Ringler
- ESF Hosts Largest-Ever Incoming International Class
- ESF Hosts Inclusive Excellence Welcome Reception
- 2018 Fall Sports Preview
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210