Mighty Oaks Summer Sports Update
On the schedule: bass fishing and golf
Classes are over for the summer but action continues in the world of ESF athletics.
First, the ESF bass fishing club was humbled at the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) College Fishing Northern Conference opener at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia this spring.
Sophomore Lukas Matt and freshman Caleb Konrad struggled in the college-level tournament, finishing 42nd out of 47 teams. Despite the poor finish, both Konrad and Matt agreed that the tournament, held May 9, was a learning experience.
"We didn't do well, but we had a lot of fun," said Matt. He is the son of Joe Matt, a widely known local bass fisherman whose nickname is the "The Fishin' Mortician."
More recently, the Mighty Oaks athletics department held its annual golf scramble fundraiser at the June 4 at the Links at Erie Village.
Beautiful weather highlighted the event. Twelve teams, consisting of four players each, participated in the tournament, which featured raffle prizes including New York Yankees tickets and a Delta Airlines travel certificate. Other highlights included a record 15-under-par finish for John Turbeville, assistant dean of student affairs and men's golf head coach, and his team. Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, placed first in the longest drive contest.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210