Mighty Oaks Summer Sports Update
On the schedule: bass fishing and golf
Classes are over for the summer but action continues in the world of ESF athletics.
First, the ESF bass fishing club was humbled at the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) College Fishing Northern Conference opener at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia this spring.
Sophomore Lukas Matt and freshman Caleb Konrad struggled in the college-level tournament, finishing 42nd out of 47 teams. Despite the poor finish, both Konrad and Matt agreed that the tournament, held May 9, was a learning experience.
"We didn't do well, but we had a lot of fun," said Matt. He is the son of Joe Matt, a widely known local bass fisherman whose nickname is the "The Fishin' Mortician."
More recently, the Mighty Oaks athletics department held its annual golf scramble fundraiser at the June 4 at the Links at Erie Village.
Beautiful weather highlighted the event. Twelve teams, consisting of four players each, participated in the tournament, which featured raffle prizes including New York Yankees tickets and a Delta Airlines travel certificate. Other highlights included a record 15-under-par finish for John Turbeville, assistant dean of student affairs and men's golf head coach, and his team. Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, placed first in the longest drive contest.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210