Mighty Oaks Summer Sports Update
On the schedule: bass fishing and golf
Classes are over for the summer but action continues in the world of ESF athletics.
First, the ESF bass fishing club was humbled at the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) College Fishing Northern Conference opener at Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia this spring.
Sophomore Lukas Matt and freshman Caleb Konrad struggled in the college-level tournament, finishing 42nd out of 47 teams. Despite the poor finish, both Konrad and Matt agreed that the tournament, held May 9, was a learning experience.
"We didn't do well, but we had a lot of fun," said Matt. He is the son of Joe Matt, a widely known local bass fisherman whose nickname is the "The Fishin' Mortician."
More recently, the Mighty Oaks athletics department held its annual golf scramble fundraiser at the June 4 at the Links at Erie Village.
Beautiful weather highlighted the event. Twelve teams, consisting of four players each, participated in the tournament, which featured raffle prizes including New York Yankees tickets and a Delta Airlines travel certificate. Other highlights included a record 15-under-par finish for John Turbeville, assistant dean of student affairs and men's golf head coach, and his team. Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing, placed first in the longest drive contest.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210