ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
Conservation biology major sailing Pacific Ocean
Emily Landers, a recent ESF graduate, is participating in SEA Semester's Protecting the Phoenix Islands program.
Landers, a conservation biology major, from Medford, New Jersey, joins undergraduate students from top colleges and universities nationwide who are participating in the program that is conducting some of the first comprehensive oceanographic surveys of the Phoenix Island Protected Area (PIPA). PIPA, an expanse of the Pacific Ocean about the size of California, is one of the world's largest Marine Protected Areas and was recently named a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization World Heritage Site.
The program, offered in partnership with the New England Aquarium, began in mid-June at SEA Semester's campus in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, where the students completed preparatory coursework and developed their own research projects in ocean science or conservation policy.
The students have now embarked on the hands-on centerpiece of the program: a six-week sailing voyage as active crewmembers and scientists aboard the SSV Robert C. Seamans. Starting in Honolulu, Hawaii, they will first cross the equator as part of their two-week, 1,600-mile open ocean voyage to the Phoenix Islands. During three weeks in PIPA, the researchers will document the oceanic ecosystem around seven small coral atolls. A final leg to American Samoa will round out the voyage Aug. 14.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210