Renowned Shark Expert to Speak at ESF
Dr. Peter Klimley sets two presentations Sept. 24
Shark expert Dr. Peter Klimley, whose work has been featured in National Geographic Explorer, will give two presentations Sept. 24 on the ESF campus.
First, Klimley will present the Adaptive Peaks seminar 4 to 5 p.m. in Illick Hall, Room 5. His presentation will focus on designing marine reserves for sharks in the Eastern Pacific.
Klimley's second presentation, which is open to the public, will be a lecture 7 to 8 p.m., also in Illick Hall, Room 5. His subject will be: "Sharks Beware of Humans, Not Humans Beware of Sharks." He will explain that sharks are at greater risk from humans than vice versa, discuss why they are vulnerable to overfishing and talk about the motivations for protecting shark populations worldwide.
Klimley, from the University of California, Davis, Department of Wildlife, Fish & Conservation Biology, conducts research on the role of sensory physiology and animals' behavior in their social and physical environment. His work on sharks has attracted national media attention. He has been featured in the multi-episode documentary Shark Men and National Geographic Explorer. Klimley is an international expert on shark behavior and conservation, and sharks' role as a top predator in oceanic food webs.
Recent ESF News
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
- Dr. Lee Newman Honored with Stephen D. Ebbs Distinguished Service Award
- ESF Leads International Team in Hypoxia Research
- ESF to Host Travel Unity Summit, Explore “Cultivating Welcoming Communities
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210