New Club Brings the Sounds of Music to ESF
Music club offers ESF musicians a new venue
The video associated with this story has been removed. Contact email@example.com if you need further information.
A common interest in music - playing it, practicing it, enjoying it - is the tie that binds the ESF Music Society together.
"The club started as a means of getting musicians I knew were on campus together because I knew they wouldn't play with each other otherwise," said Pavel Dimens, founder and president of the ESF Music Society.
Dimens, a junior aquatics and fisheries science major, explained the club enables ESF and Syracuse University musicians to keep their musical skills current while providing entertainment for their fellow students.
The ESF Music Society staged two performances in the fall 2009 semester, including a Halloween-themed concert at the October Coffee Haus. This semester they will perform at the April 30 Insomniacs event.
The Society tries to meet once a month to discuss the business aspect of the club: performance and rehearsal dates, playlists, who is playing on what song and, in some cases, costuming. The musicians donned costumes for the Halloween gig.
"It's a lot of fun," said Anthony Vicente, a junior environmental and forest biology major and treasurer for the group. "I never actually played an instrument before and this was a good chance for me to start playing guitar." Vicente received guidance from other club members and now says: "I can play a couple songs."
"There's an incredible amount of talent on this campus," said Dimens, "and I wanted to take advantage of that."
"Other people might be really surprised by how much musical talent is at ESF but people don't really explore those old avenues of performing because we have so much laboratory work and so much homework," he said.
"It's a lot of fun," said Jennifer Ma, a junior wildlife science major, "to have people come together from different musical backgrounds and enjoy playing with each other."
Information about the ESF Music Society can be found online at http://www.esf.edu/org/musicsociety and also on Facebook.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- ESF Center for CCDR Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210