Oakie Acorn Falters in Mascot Madness
ESF mascot exits tourney in round 2
Oakie Acorn fell to SUNY Canton's Roody Roo in a late upset in Round 2 of Mascot Madness.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a No. 8 seed going into the competition. In Round 1, Oakie defeated both SUNY Oswego and Orange County Community College. In Round 2, Oakie took an early lead but, in the end, received 45.08 percent of the vote against Roody.
The annual online competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through March 30. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Thirty-nine SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on campus events. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through March 30 at blog.suny.edu
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210