Bass Fishing Team Catches a Win
Anglers set to compete in state championship
The ESF bass fishing team earned a win this past weekend at the New York State Bass Fishing Federation Collegiate Cup qualifier on the St. Lawrence River.
ESF sported two teams at the tournament: one with Lukas Matt and Caleb Conrad and the other featuring Ethan Hall and Ray Bentz. The Mighty Oaks found the fish on the St. Lawrence, finishing first and third overall out of 12 teams. Coming in first were Hall and Bentz who reeled in five fish with a combined weight of 19.60 pounds. The catch included a smallmouth bass weighing in at 5.6 pounds. The first-place team took home $205 in prize money.
It was Hall's first time fishing on the St. Lawrence. "This place has some real tanks in it!" he said, referring to the size of the fish in the river.
The third-place team of Matt and Conrad hauled in five fish with a combined weight of 14.65 pounds.
The previous day, Matt and Conrad had travelled to Chautauqua Lake in Western New York for the Fishing League Worldwide (FLW) regional tournament. Competing against 67 other teams, the squad came in 23rd, coming up short in qualifying for the national championship tournament in March. During the tournament the team caught a total of five fish weighing in at eight pounds total.
"We just couldn't come up with that one big fish to put us in contention," Matt said.
Both teams move on to the state championship Oct. 8 in Ticonderoga, New York, with the hopes of clinching a berth to the National Bass Fishing championship tournament in Kimberling City, Missouri, in April 2017.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
- Dr. Shijie Liu Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Wins Award to Focus on Source Reduction
- ESF Faculty, Staff Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- ESF Celebrates Graduates Virtually
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210