Woodsmen 2nd at East Coast Lumberjack Roundup
Men's, women's teams face off against six schools
The ESF Woodsmen's team hosted the East Coast Lumberjack Roundup at the Tully Field Station Nov. 5.
The competition featured six schools in addition to ESF and a team from the ESF Ranger School: Paul Smith's College, Finger Lakes Community College, Alfred State College, SUNY Cobleskill, Penn State and Morrisville State.
The ESF men's squad finished in second place overall after Paul Smith's College. The Woodsmen were led by Ethan Hall, who competed in the Timber Sports U.S. Championships last summer. Hall finished first in the hard hit competition and the underhand chop doubles event with Tim Pietrzykowski. The men's squad also finished first in the pulp toss.
On the women's side, the team consisting of Michelle Vasiloff, Racheal Smith, Hope Mahon, Eliza Phillips, Juliana Ofalt and Alexa Denoff finished first in the team log roll event. Phillips placed first in the firebuild competition while Vasiloff finished first in the cookie stack event.
The Woodsmen will be back in action next spring at the Alfred State Pioneer Woodsmen Competition April 1.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESF’s Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESF’s Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210