Verostek to present on Fletcher Steele
Famed landscape architect designed over 700 gardens in U.S.
Associate Librarian Jane Verostek will present "Fletcher Steele: One Landscape Architect's 60-Year Influence on New York" at Researching New York 2016: The Conference on New York State History at SUNY Albany on November 17.
During his lifetime, Steele (1885-1971) designed more than 700 elaborate gardens in New York and throughout the United States. Steele's garden designs were greatly influenced by extensive trips he took to visit gardens in Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, England, Russia, Norway, China and Haiti.
The Fletcher Steele Manuscript Collection was donated to the College of Environmental Science and Forestry in 1974 by the Upstate NY Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA). The collection provides detailed information on his properties and includes original nursey orders, Steele's appointment books, 300+ drawings and plans for client gardens, photographs of Steele's gardens throughout their creation, Steele's scrapbooks from his world travels and Steele's personal collection of landscape architecture books.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210