Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
2017 graduate excelled in the classroom and on the field
Jorge Guarin, a 2017 ESF graduate from Acapulco, Mexico, is the recipient of the prestigious 2017 SUNY Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award.
Guarin, who majored in sustainable energy management, was a two-year member of the Mighty Oaks men's soccer team after transferring to ESF from Concordia College, Alabama, in 2015. His future plans include travel and graduate school.
Guarin was named a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (student-athletes with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher) and a USCAA All-American in both 2015 and 2016.
On the soccer field, he led the squad to a Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship while being named the tournament MVP in 2016. Guarin also helped lead the team back to the the USCAA national tournament in November.
Student-athletes are nominated for the chancellor's honor by their campus athletic director. Their credentials and accomplishments are reviewed by a panel of athletic directors from across SUNY as well as the provost's office.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210