Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
2017 graduate excelled in the classroom and on the field
Jorge Guarin, a 2017 ESF graduate from Acapulco, Mexico, is the recipient of the prestigious 2017 SUNY Chancellor's Scholar-Athlete Award.
Guarin, who majored in sustainable energy management, was a two-year member of the Mighty Oaks men's soccer team after transferring to ESF from Concordia College, Alabama, in 2015. His future plans include travel and graduate school.
Guarin was named a U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) Academic All-American (student-athletes with an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher) and a USCAA All-American in both 2015 and 2016.
On the soccer field, he led the squad to a Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship while being named the tournament MVP in 2016. Guarin also helped lead the team back to the the USCAA national tournament in November.
Student-athletes are nominated for the chancellor's honor by their campus athletic director. Their credentials and accomplishments are reviewed by a panel of athletic directors from across SUNY as well as the provost's office.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210