Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
Mike Melfi will lead the cross country and track and field teams
With long time cross-country and track-and-field Head Coach John View retiring this year, ESF tapped local running star Mike Melfi to lead the Mighty Oaks programs.
Melfi has coached at Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District the past 10 years. During that period, Melfi guided several teams and individuals to sectional titles.
Melfi is a graduate of Henninger High School and competed as a student at Division I Marist College, where he was named the 1999 Sportsmen of the Year. Melfi is widely known in the local running community. He won the Chase Corporate Challenge four times and still holds the course record.
"The ESF cross-country program has had tremendous success in its short existence. I look forward to continue building upon that success. After meeting with current team members, I know that this is going to be a great fit. My goal is to improve our runners not only on the course but also in the classroom as student-athletes," Melfi said.
"We are thrilled to have Mike join the Mighty Oaks athletics department. Mike brings years of coaching experience. His success as a competitive runner will be very beneficial to our runners looking to reach the next level," said Dan Ramin, coordinator of athletics for ESF.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210