ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
In the lineup: STEAM, Great Lakes, Forestry and Oakie
The College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) will have a presence at a number of venues at the 2017 New York State Fair.
Students from ESF's SCIENCE Corps will be at the fair Aug. 24 as part of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) Exhibit with C&S Companies. The students will showcase hands-on activities to engage children in scientific pursuits. The exhibit will be in the Science and Industry Building right inside the main gate.
The Great Lakes Research Consortium, under the direction of ESF's Dr. Gregory Boyer, will demonstrate its remotely operated vehicle (ROV) daily at the new pond in the former grandstand area. Demonstrations will take place at noon, 2 and 4 p.m. daily. Members of the GLRC will be on hand in the Shipwreck Shack near the pond to answer questions and present a history of Great Lakes shipwrecks.
The ESF Woodsmen's Team will be at the fair Saturday, Sept. 2, to celebrate Forestry Day. The team will do demonstrations along with timber sports teams from Paul Smith's and Morrisville colleges. Team exhibition times are:
11 a.m. Crosscut and bowsaw
11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Pulp toss (public participation)
12:15 to 1 p.m. Axe throw and underhand chop
2:15 to 2:45 p.m. Log roll, standing-block chop, speed climb
The forestry exhibit will also include a display on longhorn beetles and information on forest regeneration, as well as opportunities for landowner education. There will also be live draft horses that visitors can pet.
The Forestry Day exhibit will be in the vicinity of the former grandstand.
The winner of SUNY's annual Mascot Madness competition, ESF's Oakie Acorn, will be at the fair Monday, Aug. 28, to mark SUNY Day. Oakie will be on hand at 10:15 a.m. with tattoos for the kids and photo ops for all. Visitors can stop by the SUNY tent, located next to the main fair offices, to meet the winner of Mascot Madness.
The New York Natural Heritage Program, under the auspices of ESF and in a partnership with New York State Parks, will also be at the fair. This exhibit will feature nature displays and activities. The exhibit will be located in a tent across from the New York State Parks buildings near the Arts and Home Center Aug. 30, 31 and Sept. 1.
The New York State Fair runs from Aug. 23 through Sept. 4.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210