Mighty Oaks Opening Weekend Recap
Cross country teams start strong; soccer teams win
The 2017 Mighty Oaks fall sports season got underway as the men's and women's cross country teams participated at the Le Moyne College Short Course Invitational.
In the women's race, junior All-American Marissa Lathrop finished fourth with a time of 17:17. Freshman Erin Cocca placed sixth (17:41) while senior transfer Laura Wengert placed eighth (17:52). The three top 10 finishers gave ESF a second place overall finish behind the hosts Le Moyne College.
On the men's side, it was a freshman that lead ESF to a third place overall finish. Freshman Mark McClenahan placed ninth overall with a time of 21:28. His freshman teammate Tom Keenan finished 11th (22:21) followed by junior Ethan Appelgren (22:23). SUNY Delhi placed first overall while Le Moyne College finished second.
Both teams race again at Morrisville State Sept. 9.
On the soccer pitch, the national champion runner-ups, the Mighty Oaks women's soccer team started the season with a convincing 7-0 win over the King's College in an HVIAC-conference game. Senior Lauren Archer had a hat trick for the Mighty Oaks while senior forward Shannon added two goals.
The men's team also found the back of the net four times versus the King's College. Sophomore Joseph Kulikowski scored twice for ESF while sophomores Mickael Myagkota and Cooper Weinman also scored goals. Junior goal keeper Mike Hoppe had seven saves in the 4-0 shutout win.
Both teams face local rival Cazenovia College Sept. 12.
Earlier in the week, the bass fishing team had a successful outing in Lake Champlain. The duo of Ray Bentz and Andrew Sinchuk finished third overall catching five fish with a combined weight of 14.58 pounds. With the third place finish, the team qualifies for the Collegiate Cup Championship held on Lake Champlain Oct. 1.
The team will get another opportunity to practice before the championship at Lake George Sept. 18.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210