Mighty Oaks Weekly Soccer Roundup
Women's team defeats Cazenovia on the road
The ESF women's soccer team picked up a win on the road Sept. 12, 3-0, vs. the Wildcats of Cazenovia.
Senior Jessie Smith got the Mighty Oaks on the board only one minute into the match. Senior Anna Bishop assisted on the goal.
The Mighty Oaks continued on the attack with two more first half goals (24' and 28') by senior Shannon Gordinier. ESF led 3-0 at half time.
The Wildcats played tough throughout the second half, stopping ESF's attack on several occasions and ringing off seven shots on goal, but the Mighty Oaks would prevail with a 3-0 win.
Senior goalkeeper Kiki Hilmer had 10 saves. Gordinier has scored four goals already early on in the season. The team improves to 2-0 on the season.
The men's team also faced off against Cazenovia the same day but came away with a loss. These two teams have an exciting past with Cazenovia winning the last two matches, including a memorable 5-4 overtime shootout win in 2014.
The Wildcats would continue their reign over ESF, coming away with a 2-0 win. Jake Robson got Cazenovia on the board first with a shot past junior keeper Mike Hoppe at the seven-minute mark. Possession was balanced between the two teams. ESF outshot the Wildcats, 10-4, but no shot found the back of the net. Jonathan Cardenas added another goal early in the second half to give the Wildcats a 2-0 lead and the win.
Cazenovia improves to 2-2 on the season.
The men's team traveled to Binghamton Sept. 13 to face Davis College in an Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (HVIAC) match. Transfer student Cooper Weinman broke ESF's scoring drought with a goal at the 24-minute mark of the first half. ESF led at half time 1-0 over the Falcons. Sophomore Andrew Noble added another goal at the 53rd minute off an assist from junior J.C. Barrientos. Ten minutes later, freshman William Byrne added another goal assisted by senior Geoff Golick. ESF came away with a 3-0 victory.
"Good win for the men today and a definite improvement over Tuesday's chaotic play versus Caz. Both teams are prepared and fired up for next Saturday's match versus Albany Pharmacy." said Head Coach Dan Ramin.
The men's team improves to 2-1 overall, 2-0 in HVIAC conference play. Both squads are back in action versus HVIAC rival Albany Pharmacy Sept. 16 for senior day.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210