Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
Distinguished Professor serves on Board of Scientific Counselors Subcommittee
Dr. Myron Mitchell, a SUNY Distinguished Professor Emeritus at ESF, is a member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Board of Scientific Counselors (BOSC) Air, Climate and Energy (ACE) Subcommittee. Mitchell was asked by EPA Administrator E. Scott Pruitt to serve a three-year term through December 2020.
The BOSC is a federal advisory committee that provides advice and recommendations to EPA's Office of Research and Development on technical and management issues of its research programs. The BOSC was established as a discretionary federal advisory committee on May 28, 1996, and operates in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
BOSC subcommittees support the Executive Committee by providing expert review and advice for any purpose consistent with the BOSC's charter. Members of the BOSC subcommittees constitute a distinguished body of scientists and engineers who are recognized experts in their respective fields. These individuals are drawn from institutions such as academia, industry/business, federal, state and local governments, non-governmental and environmental organizations, research laboratories and other relevant entities.
Mitchell is an internationally recognized biogeochemist/ecologist who has had a distinguished career at ESF. His research involves terrestrial and aquatic ecosystem processes; sulfur and nitrogen cycling; acid precipitation in the Adirondacks; Hubbard Brook long-term ecological research (LTER); and hydrology.
He has authored or co-authored more than 250 academic papers and has received extramural support from prestigious sources including the National Science Foundation, the USDA Forest Service, EPA, USGS and DOE. He helped establish the Northeastern Ecosystem Research Cooperative that provides long-term research and coordination among multiple sites in the Northeastern U.S. and Southeastern Canada.
Mitchell has participated in research in the Canadian Rockies, Catskills, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Japan, South Korea, Central Europe and New Zealand. He has served on the SUNY Research Foundation Board as vice chair and regularly serves on National Science Foundation and other funding panels.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210