Mighty Oaks Sports Weekend Recap (Week of Sept. 17)
Soccer teams bring home the Barkeater's Cup
The men's and women's soccer teams traveled to Paul Smith's College for the annual Max Calderone Memorial Barkeater's Cup game. Both teams were victorious with the men winning 6-0, the women 3-1. ESF has won the cup for five straight years.
In the women's game, junior midfielder Maureen McCarthy opened up scoring at the 18 minute-mark with a blast from 25 yards out. Four minutes later, McCarthy scored again off an assist from junior Marissa Pompeii. Freshman Rachael Foote put ESF up 3-0 just before half time.
ESF allowed only one goal by the Bobcats in the second half to come away with the 3-1 win. The victory was much needed for the team's moral as the squad fell, 2-1, to conference rival Albany Pharmacy in a 2 OT thriller two days earlier. Theresa Ferrigno scored ESF's lone goal against the Panthers.
The women improve to 3-2 overall, 2-1 in HVIAC conference play. The women are back in action at home Sept. 27 against Bryant and Stratton College-Syracuse.
The men's team also lost,1-0, to the Albany Pharmacy Panthers on a penalty kick at the 83rd-minute. Despite outshooting the Panthers 18-5, ESF could not find the back of the net.
Goals were not an issue for the men's team against Paul Smith's College. The men dominated the Bobcats winning 6-0. Freshman forward Jack Phillips scored a hat-trick. Phillips now leads the team in scoring with six goals on the season. Also scoring for ESF was junior Harrison Cox, senior Copper Weinman and freshman Owen Henkler. Sophomore goal keeper Carmine Tronolone shared net time with freshman Luke Paterson. Paterson made six saves while Tronolone stop two shots in the shutout win.
The men improve to 4-2 overall, 2-1 in conference play. The men travel to Staten Island Sept. 29 to face conference rivals Berkeley College.
The men's golf team had back-to-back competitions. The first competition was the Canton Invitational held at Partridge Run Golf and Country Club. The team finished sixth out of eight schools. Junior Billy Sullivan placed 10th overall out of 45 golfers with a score of 81, nine over par. Senior Sean Barron finished 11th with a score of 82. In the second competition, the squad competed at the Utica College Invitational. The two-day event was held at the Yahnundasis Golf Club in New Hartford, New York. Senior Sean Barron finished fourth overall with a combined score of 151 strokes (76, 75). Senior Jared Shan finished sixth overall in the first day with a score of 77 but had a tough outing the second day finishing with a 91 and placing 32nd overall out of 53 participants. ESF finished fifth out of seven teams.
The team will compete Sept. 29 at the Oswego State Fall Invitational.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210