Mighty Oaks Sports Weekend Recap (Week of Sept. 24)
Women’s Cross Country Team Place Fourth at the Geneseo Invitational
The Mighty Oaks women's cross country team placed fourth overall out of 19 teams at the 40th Annual Mike Woods Geneseo Invitational. This was the team's best finish ever at one of the most competitive cross county events in the northeast. The host team Geneseo were the overall winners.
Senior Marissa Lathrop paced the Mighty Oaks with a 14th place finish overall out of 232 runners. Lathrop covered the 6K course with a time of 23:38. Also scoring for ESF was sophomore Julie Romano (27th - 24:23) and Erin Cocca (38th - 24:43).
The men's cross country team finished in the middle of the pack with a 13th place finish out of 23 teams. Sophomore Mark McClenahan finished 45th overall out of 308 runners with a time of 27:41 in the 8K course. Senior Ethan Appelgren placed 50th with a time of 27:46 along with senior Sean Satchwell with a 69th place overall finish and a time of 28:09.
Both teams race Oct. 6 at the Houghton Highlander Invite.
On the soccer pitch, both the men's and women's teams suffered defeats during the week. The women's team was edged, 3-2, in double overtime by Bryant and Stratton College of Syracuse. The Bobcats got off to an early two-goal lead. The Mighty Oaks came roaring back notching two goals of their own with goals by senior Alyssa Hughes and freshman Sierra Walsh, ending the first half in a 2-2 tie. Both teams went scoreless in the second half and first overtime. The Bobcats winning goal came off a corner kick with 1:40 left in the second overtime period.
"We out played them with our passing and teamwork, but our lack of intensity to start the game hurt us," said Heather Carl, assistant coach.
With the loss, the women's team falls to 3-2 overall. The team takes to the pitch again, Oct. 6 at Alfred State.
The men's soccer team traveled to Staten Island to face conference foe Berkeley College. Last year, the Mighty Oaks defeated the Knights 4-3, in a dramatic come-back win after being down 3-0 at half time.
The Knights wouldn't let history repeat this time, winning 2-0 over ESF. Both Berkeley goals game in the first half. The Knights outshot ESF 25-7. Freshman netminder Luke Paterson made seven saves for the Mighty Oaks.
The men's team falls to 4-3 overall, 2-2 in conference play. The team travels Oct. 6 to face Alfred State.
The men's golf team finished sixth overall out of 11 schools at the Oswego State Fall Invitational held at the Oswego Country Club.
Senior Sean Barron tied for second place overall with a combined score of 151 (75,76), nine over par. Senior Kory Whittum finished 30th overall with a score of 171 (85, 86).
The team finishes up their season, Oct. 7-9, at the USCAA Championships held at the Penn State Blue Course.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210