38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
GCI, ESSO support participation at meeting in Philadelphia
More than three dozen ESF students are traveling to Philadelphia this week for the 5th annual Students for Zero Waste Conference.
The conference, to be held Nov. 2 and 3, includes speakers, student-led workshops, professional training opportunities and panel discussions covering waste and environmental justice. The conference will wrap up with an Upcycled "Trashion" Drag Show Saturday night. The 38 ESF students' participation in the event is supported by the ESF Green Campus Initiative (GCI) and the Environmental Studies Student Organization (ESSO), which covered the attendance fee. In addition, the students worked to arrange free overnight accommodations in the Philadelphia area.
The conference is sponsored and run by Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN). The organization's mission is to "cultivate, educate, and inspire the student-led zero waste movement." PLAN informs students about the waste crisis and equips them with the necessary skills and resources to implement solutions to waste in their campus communities. PLAN also has an online store that provides zero-waste and plastic-free items such as Diva cups, reusable straws and mesh produce bags. (ESF students get a discount when they sign in with their ESF/SYR email. )
The clubs that are covering the student ticket fees worked extensively to network, organize and provide options to students attending the event.
"I hope the students attending Students for Zero Waste Conference come back to campus inspired, with an abundance of ideas to work with and implement on and off ESF's campus," said GCI President Kayla Conway.
ESSO President Andrew Maloney said he is looking forward to networking opportunities.
"I am looking forward to learning more about what aspects I can incorporate in my own life. I would also like to network professionally since I would really enjoy seeing the movement translate to a larger audience."
- By Jordan Randall, '19
Recent ESF News
- ESF Scientist Helps Locate Wolf That Died on Isle Royale
- Cuomo Announces Initiative to Reimagine Erie Canal as Catalyst for Economic Development, Resiliency
- ESF Employees Honored with SUNY Chancellor's Awards
- Dr. Jacqueline Frair Presented with Exemplary Research Award
- ESF Student Designed Bridge Judged Most Innovative
- ESF College Foundation Honors Daley with Teaching Award
- 2019 Commencement: 'You Are My Family,' Student Speaker Says
- Students Recognize Contributions of Staff, Faculty
- ESF Announces Graduation Weekend Schedule
- ESF to Honor Dr. Bernard Amadei with Honorary Degree
- ESF Student Completes First Year of Leadership Training in Bioeconomy
- Patrick Jackson Honored as Green Building Advocate of the Year
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Student Organizations, Leaders Recognized
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210