38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
GCI, ESSO support participation at meeting in Philadelphia
More than three dozen ESF students are traveling to Philadelphia this week for the 5th annual Students for Zero Waste Conference.
The conference, to be held Nov. 2 and 3, includes speakers, student-led workshops, professional training opportunities and panel discussions covering waste and environmental justice. The conference will wrap up with an Upcycled "Trashion" Drag Show Saturday night. The 38 ESF students' participation in the event is supported by the ESF Green Campus Initiative (GCI) and the Environmental Studies Student Organization (ESSO), which covered the attendance fee. In addition, the students worked to arrange free overnight accommodations in the Philadelphia area.
The conference is sponsored and run by Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN). The organization's mission is to "cultivate, educate, and inspire the student-led zero waste movement." PLAN informs students about the waste crisis and equips them with the necessary skills and resources to implement solutions to waste in their campus communities. PLAN also has an online store that provides zero-waste and plastic-free items such as Diva cups, reusable straws and mesh produce bags. (ESF students get a discount when they sign in with their ESF/SYR email. )
The clubs that are covering the student ticket fees worked extensively to network, organize and provide options to students attending the event.
"I hope the students attending Students for Zero Waste Conference come back to campus inspired, with an abundance of ideas to work with and implement on and off ESF's campus," said GCI President Kayla Conway.
ESSO President Andrew Maloney said he is looking forward to networking opportunities.
"I am looking forward to learning more about what aspects I can incorporate in my own life. I would also like to network professionally since I would really enjoy seeing the movement translate to a larger audience."
- By Jordan Randall, '19
Recent ESF News
- ESF Launches Its First Online Bachelor’s Degree
- ESF Power Plant Saves Money and Reduces Carbon Footprint
- ESF Students Return to PR to Help with Continuing Relief Efforts
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Studies: Transgenic American Chestnut Trees Show No Ill Effects on Seeds, Fungi or Larval Frogs
- Advice to Graduates: Live with Heart, Kindness, Passion
- ESF to Celebrate December Commencement
- ESF Students Ride to Ribbons in Horse Show
- Kimmerer Portrait Featured in 'Americans Who Tell the Truth' Display
- ‘Old-Fashioned Fieldwork’ Puts New Frog Species on the Map
- ESF Participates in Remembrance for Lost Species
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210