38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
GCI, ESSO support participation at meeting in Philadelphia
More than three dozen ESF students are traveling to Philadelphia this week for the 5th annual Students for Zero Waste Conference.
The conference, to be held Nov. 2 and 3, includes speakers, student-led workshops, professional training opportunities and panel discussions covering waste and environmental justice. The conference will wrap up with an Upcycled "Trashion" Drag Show Saturday night. The 38 ESF students' participation in the event is supported by the ESF Green Campus Initiative (GCI) and the Environmental Studies Student Organization (ESSO), which covered the attendance fee. In addition, the students worked to arrange free overnight accommodations in the Philadelphia area.
The conference is sponsored and run by Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN). The organization's mission is to "cultivate, educate, and inspire the student-led zero waste movement." PLAN informs students about the waste crisis and equips them with the necessary skills and resources to implement solutions to waste in their campus communities. PLAN also has an online store that provides zero-waste and plastic-free items such as Diva cups, reusable straws and mesh produce bags. (ESF students get a discount when they sign in with their ESF/SYR email. )
The clubs that are covering the student ticket fees worked extensively to network, organize and provide options to students attending the event.
"I hope the students attending Students for Zero Waste Conference come back to campus inspired, with an abundance of ideas to work with and implement on and off ESF's campus," said GCI President Kayla Conway.
ESSO President Andrew Maloney said he is looking forward to networking opportunities.
"I am looking forward to learning more about what aspects I can incorporate in my own life. I would also like to network professionally since I would really enjoy seeing the movement translate to a larger audience."
- By Jordan Randall, '19
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210