Mighty Oaks Men's Basketball Team Wins on the Road
ESF defeats Five Towns College in overtime
The Mighty Oaks went 2-0 on their annual NYC road trip.
ESF faced HVIAC rival Pratt Institute in the first game of the weekend. The Cannoneers came in with an 8-5 overall record. The first half was close as ESF went into halftime with a one-point lead, 34-33. ESF pulled ahead in the second half and came away with a nine-point win, 75-66.
Senior center Cole Hartman lead ESF with a season high of 18 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore Cole Paradies added 15 points off 6-11 shooting. Freshman Griffin Levine led Pratt with 21 points.
The following day, ESF travelled to Dix Hills, Long Island, to face Five Towns College. The Mighty Oaks found themselves down 14 points early in the first half. The team kept its composure and pulled ahead to a four-point lead at the half, 41-37. The teams kept the score close in the second half with several lead changes. With only seconds remaining in the game, Five Towns called a timeout when none was available, resulting in a technical foul. Senior David Loewen converted one of the two free throws, giving ESF a three-point lead.In the ensuing play, Five Towns heaved a shot from just past half court that went in, sending the game into overtime.
In the overtime period, ESF held off Five Town's momentum with solid defense and clutch free throw shooting. A three-pointer and two free throws by Loewen in the final minute sealed the win for the Mighty Oaks. The final score was 106-99.
ESF had five players in doubl- digit scoring. Sophomore Zack Dormer led ESF with 22 points and six steals despite fouling out in overtime. Paradies had 21 points and eight rebounds while Loewen finished with 14 points and six rebounds. Sophomore Kyree Sawyer scored 24 points for the Sound.
ESF improves to 5-9 overall, 2-1 in conference play, while Five Towns falls to 6-7 overall. ESF is back in action Jan. 30 at Albany Pharmacy.
Recent ESF News
- State Energy Official to Speak on ‘Green New Deal’
- ESF-SU Team Scores Win in DOE Solar Decathlon
- Clarkson, ESF to Partner in New Center of Excellence
- Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
- Student Honored with Chancellor’s Award
- Kieber Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- Oakie Enters Round 2 of Mascot Madness
- ESF Students Earn Spot in ‘Storyfest’ Finals
- EFB Faculty, Students Spend Spring Break in Ecuador
- Girls’ Summit, Take Our Kids to Work Day on the Horizon
- Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF Ranked #1 for Enrolling, Graduating Women in Engineering
- ESF Announces Discovery Challenge Winners
- Career Fair 2019
- Illick 5 Renovations Provide Students with New Learning Environment
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210