ESF Carnegie Classification Research Status Changes to R-2
College also has Classification for Community Engagement
ESF's status as a research university has been changed from "Doctoral Universities: Moderate Research Activity," otherwise known as R-3, to "Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity," which is commonly known as R-2.
Provost and Executive Vice President Nosa Egiebor explains the change was made because of alterations made by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, which provides a framework for classifying colleges and universities in the United States.
The former R-3 classification now applies to institutions that award professional doctoral degrees. So, a new designation, called "Doctoral/Professional Universities" (D/PU), was created to replace the former R-3. ESF and all institutions in the former R-3 group (which were not institutions that award professional doctoral degrees) now have R-2 status.
"This is good for ESF," Egiebor said, "because -the new R-2 classification is viewed as a higher level of institutional research engagement and productivity which makes ESF more attractive to the best and brightest prospective graduate and undergraduate students, as well as faculty."
In addition to the research designation, ESF has the Carnegie Foundation's Classification for Community Engagement, an elective classification that recognizes higher education's commitment to community engagement. It considers institutional commitment to deepen the practice of service and strengthen bonds between campus and community.
The Community Engagement classification is based on voluntary participation by institutions. The classification involves data collection and documentation of important aspects of institutional mission, identity and commitments and requires substantial effort from participating institutions.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210