Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
National search set for summer
Dr. Douglas Johnston has been appointed interim director of the ESF Open Academy.
Johnston will remain in the position until a national search, to be conducted this summer, identifies a permanent director. Johnston succeeds Dr. Charles Spuches, who recently retired.
Johnston will also continue to serve as chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture, a position he has held since 2013.
In announcing the appointment, Interim Provost David Newman noted Johnston was the academic lead in developing ESF's new online sustainability management program, which will launch this fall. "Doug's leadership helped develop that program and, since it is being administered by the Open Academy, there will be a seamless transition," Newman said. "We look forward to tapping Doug's expertise in new ways."
Johnston holds a B.S. in environmental studies and a B.L.A. from ESF, an M.L.A. from Harvard University, and a Ph.D. in civil and environmental engineering from the University of Washington.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210