Johnston Appointed Interim Open Academy Director
National search set for summer
Dr. Douglas Johnston has been appointed interim director of the ESF Open Academy.
Johnston will remain in the position until a national search, to be conducted this summer, identifies a permanent director. Johnston succeeds Dr. Charles Spuches, who recently retired.
Johnston will also continue to serve as chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture, a position he has held since 2013.
In announcing the appointment, Interim Provost David Newman noted Johnston was the academic lead in developing ESF's new online sustainability management program, which will launch this fall. "Doug's leadership helped develop that program and, since it is being administered by the Open Academy, there will be a seamless transition," Newman said. "We look forward to tapping Doug's expertise in new ways."
Johnston holds a B.S. in environmental studies and a B.L.A. from ESF, an M.L.A. from Harvard University, and a Ph.D. in civil and environmental engineering from the University of Washington.
Recent ESF News
- Dr. Lemir Teron to Be Honored as Unsung Hero
- New Department Name Reflects Growth in Academic Programs
- ‘Transformational’ Gift from Templeton Foundation Supports Chestnut Restoration
- ESF Professor’s Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics
- AIC Hosts First Day Hike in the Adirondacks
- Scientists Link Decline of Baltic Cod to Hypoxia – and Climate Change
- ESF Graduates Advised: Turn Your Passion into Purpose
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- Princeton Review Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation's 'Green Colleges'
- Senior Truong Ho Receives Statewide EOP Award
- Researchers Discover Process for Slow Removal of Old Carbon from Oceans
- ESF, Upstate Partner on Accelerated Scholars Program
- 50% Decline in Mallard Population Sparks Research Efforts
- New Center of Excellence in Healthy Water Solutions Showcased at ESF
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210