ESF Establishes Biomass Internships
Program introduces students to companies in field
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has established a summer biomass internship program aimed at creating connections between students who are interested in learning about the subject and local companies that are working in the field.
"We want to create links with the companies within the 12-county region in Central New York that are working on biomass issues," said Dr. Timothy Volk, co-director of the ESF-based SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. "The students can get hands-on experience in working in the biomass field and the companies can get some exposure to prospective employees."
Biomass, which refers to any organic material, can be used as a sustainable resource in the production of heat, power, fuel and consumer products. Biomass includes dedicated energy crops, trees and other plants, wood and wood residue, fibers and waste materials.
The summer biomass internship program is run collaboratively by ESF, the Syracuse Center of Excellence and the CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity (CEO). The program is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The internships are available to students enrolled at ESF and Syracuse University.
Volk said the biomass internships are a first for the Syracuse area.
"This region is moving forward in the biomass area," he said. "The resources are here, the research is being done here and there are businesses here doing work in the field. The next step is to provide a trained work force."
Recent ESF News
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESF’s Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
- Landscape Architecture Students Celebrate PARK(ing) Day
- Scientists Turn to UN to Sound Alarm about World’s Oceans
- Mighty Oaks Welcome New Men's Basketball Coach
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Launches ‘Discovery Challenge’
- Love it, don’t list it
- ESF Ranks among ‘Best Value’ Schools
- ESF’s Miniature Northern Hardwood Forest Gets a Lift
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210