Two ESF Students Receive SUNY Chancellorís Awards
Two SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry students were honored in Albany Tuesday as they were presented with the 2011 Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence.
Shannon Carpenter of Liverpool, a senior in the Department of Chemistry, and Jennifer Ma of Brooklyn, a senior in the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, were honored with some 240 other SUNY students at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center.
"The students we honor today have excelled academically and taken advantage of what SUNY has to offer in and outside the classroom," said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher. "These students are proven leaders, athletes, artists, community servants, and much more. They represent the future of our state and are perfect examples of The Power of SUNY. I congratulate all of the students receiving recognition today and thank them for the positive impact each of them has had on SUNY and the communities we serve."
The Chancellor's Award for Student Excellencewas created 14 years ago to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and have been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, or career achievement. The average grade point average for all recipients this year is 3.8.
Each year, campus presidents establish a selection committee that reviews exemplary students. Nominations are forwarded to the Chancellor's Office and undergo a second round of review. Finalists are recommended to the chancellor to become recipients of the award. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Lauded in College Rankings
- Wolf Pups Born in Isle Royale National Park
- Three New Book Projects for Distinguished Professor
- Grant funds New York State Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Hazardous Air Pollutant Exposure Linked as Contributing Factor to COVID-19 Mortality in the United States
- Governor Announces Partnerships with SUNY Schools to Reduce Waste, Improve Recycling Across State
- Forest Carbon Sink Neutralized By Pervasive Growth-Lifespan Trade-offs
- Researchers Investigating a Renewable Solvent for Biofuel Production
- Prof J. Scott Turner Receives Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award to Namibia for Building Effective Online Educational Media
- ESF Faculty/Trustee Appointed to New York State Climate Action Council Advisory Panels
- Leaders Step Forward to Assume Interim Roles
- Ph.D. Student Jenny Frank Featured Presenter on Biodiesel
- ESFís Landscape Architecture Department Moves Downtown
- ESF Researchers at Forefront of SARS-CoV2 Monitoring
- ESFís Board of Trustees to Meet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210