Two ESF Students Receive SUNY Chancellorís Awards
Two SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry students were honored in Albany Tuesday as they were presented with the 2011 Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence.
Shannon Carpenter of Liverpool, a senior in the Department of Chemistry, and Jennifer Ma of Brooklyn, a senior in the Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, were honored with some 240 other SUNY students at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center.
"The students we honor today have excelled academically and taken advantage of what SUNY has to offer in and outside the classroom," said SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher. "These students are proven leaders, athletes, artists, community servants, and much more. They represent the future of our state and are perfect examples of The Power of SUNY. I congratulate all of the students receiving recognition today and thank them for the positive impact each of them has had on SUNY and the communities we serve."
The Chancellor's Award for Student Excellencewas created 14 years ago to recognize students who have best demonstrated, and have been recognized for, the integration of academic excellence with accomplishments in the areas of leadership, athletics, community service, creative and performing arts, or career achievement. The average grade point average for all recipients this year is 3.8.
Each year, campus presidents establish a selection committee that reviews exemplary students. Nominations are forwarded to the Chancellor's Office and undergo a second round of review. Finalists are recommended to the chancellor to become recipients of the award. Each recipient receives a framed certificate and medallion, which is traditionally worn at commencement.
Recent ESF News
- Mighty Oaks Soccer Teams End Season at USCAA Championships
- Women's Cross Country Team Wins National Championship
- ESF Team Reports Discovery of Unusual Molecule
- ESF Alumna Leads Cannabis Team for Law Firm
- 38 ESF Students to Attend Zero Waste Conference
- ESF Represented at Forestry and Wood Products Summit
- Mighty Oaks Sweep HVIAC Tournament
- ESF Kicks Off International Education Week
- ESF Continues to Lead in World of Green Colleges
- ESFís Barron Wins 2018 USCAA Golf National Championship
- ESF Celebrates Debut of Digital Storytelling Studio
- Volk to Present Travis Lecture on Shrub Willow
- The ESF Center for Community Design Research Receives Federal Research Grant
- National Geographic Live and ESF Host National Geographic Explorer/Photographer Anand Varma
- Waste not, want not
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210