Mighty Oaks New Athletics Field Set to Open
Inaugural game set for Sept. 21
There's no place like home, and come September the Mighty Oaks athletic teams will have home fields of their own for the first time in program history.
The new athletic field is located on the college's Tully Field Station property, approximately 15 miles south of Syracuse.
The first phase of the athletic field plan - which included clearing, grading and seeding the multipurpose grass field - is nearing completion. Phase II of the project includes construction of a small locker room, storage and a restroom facility.
The layout and landscape of the field was designed primarily by students in ESF's landscape architecture program under the guidance of Associate Professor Emanuel Carter Jr. Last May, student-athletes helped plant more than 2,400 willow cuttings to form a natural barrier around the field.
The first game at the new field will be Sept. 21 when the men's and women's soccer teams face off against Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. On Oct. 19, the men's soccer team will play Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology in conjunction with the inaugural ESF Invitational Cross Country meet and the woodsmen's team annual home meet. All events will be held at the Tully Field Station.
"It is tremendous to finally have a home athletics field," said Dan Ramin, athletics director. "Timber sports has enjoyed their home meets in Tully for several years and it is a great spot. The facility is also home to ESF's willow biomass and American chestnut research. It is unique and I believe very much in the spirit of ESF to have athletic events right next to these research plots. Fans will be able to see and learn about some of the excellent research the college is doing all the while enjoying a sporting event."
Visit esfathletics.com for scores, schedules and updates on progress with the field.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Joins 19 New York Colleges and Universities to Purchase Large-Scale Aggregated Renewable Energy
- ESF Alum Named 2019 AASHE Sustainability Award Winner
- ESF Opens Food Pantry for Students
- ESF among Sierra Magazine’s 2019 Top ‘Cool Schools’
- ESF, Syracuse University Announce Renewed Academic, Research-Based Partnership
- ESF Named Top Performer in 2019 Sustainable Campus Index
- ESF Brings Science to the New York State Fair
- ESF Welcomes First-year and Transfer Students
- ESF Named a Top Green College by Princeton Review
- Governor Appoints New Trustees to ESF Board
- ESF Represented at Bioeconomy Conference
- Great Lakes Research Consortium Awards Funding to Five Projects
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester
- ESF Student Among Delegation Attending Committee on World Food Security
- Community Invited to ESF to Share Ideas About Future of Erie Canal
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210