Joachim Speaker Series to Focus on Sustainability
Paper industry and human aspect of sustainability to be explored
The human aspect of sustainability will be the focus of a lecture and discussion at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry 5 p.m., Oct. 16 in 146 Baker Laboratory on the ESF campus.
Sustainability in the Industrial Environment: from Community to Commodity is the title of this year's Joachim Speaker Series lecture sponsored by the Syracuse Pulp and Paper Foundation. Guest speakers Laura Puustjärvi from Valmet, and Nina E. Butler of WestRock, will talk about the role sustainability plays in the paper industry moving beyond the traditional ideas of sustainability and focusing on the human aspect of sustainability.
Following the lecture, attendees will adjourn to Marshall Hall's Alumni Lounge for refreshments and a discussion about sustainability as it applies to a person's job and career. Members of the ESF and SU communities are invited to attend.
Puustjärvi is head of sustainability at Valmet of Espoo, Finland. With more than 13,000 employees around the world, Valmet is the leading global developer and supplier of process technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. Puustjärvi is leading Valmet's sustainability efforts to develop and implement sustainability agenda and actively represent the company in sustainability discussions with customers, suppliers, investors and other stakeholders. She previously worked with sustainability at Metso and Finnair.
Butler is chief sustainability officer for WestRock which is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia and has a plant in Solvay, New York. WestRock is one of the largest paper recyclers in North America and a leading international manufacturer of recyclable fiber-based packaging. As chief sustainability officer, Butler leads WestRock's environmental, health and safety; sustainability and government relations functions.
The Joachim Speaker Series is held in conjunction with the SPPF annual meeting.
Recent ESF News
- Matching Gift Supports Extraordinary Aid Fund
- SUNY ESF Receives USDA Grant
- ESF’s Wildlife Society Leads in Virtual Bioblitz
- What’s Causing Islands to Form in Jamesville Reservoir?
- ESF Outlines Plans to Bring Students Back to Campus in the Fall
- ESF Alumna Brings Lessons from the Peace Corps Home
- Small Group of “Super Polluters” Responsible for Majority of Toxic Pollution
- Climate Change Threats
- Family Experiences Guide Career Choice
- Johnston Assumes Reins at Ranger School
- ESF Marine Biologist Jumps into Shark-Infested Comedy Seas
- Chancellor Johnson Appoints Joseph Rufo as ESF Officer in Charge
- Living Walls: University Researchers Develop Green Tech for Treating Wastewater from Microbreweries
- Tracking & Containing COVID-19
- Promoting a Contagion of Gratitude
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210