ESF Professorís Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics
Janine DeBaiseís book Body Language tackles taboo topics
A new book of ecofeminist poetry by Janine DeBaise, a professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), delves into the once-taboo topics of rape and sexual assault in a lyrical critique of American culture.
DeBaise questions the sexist practices of her childhood church and takes a jab at Disney in her a vision of a body-positive world. Her book Body Language begins with a breastfeeding woman comparing her measurements to those of a life-size Barbie doll.
The book ends with a celebration of the body and an affirmation of the ways that nature, community and friendship can lead to healing.
DeBaise teaches writing and literature in ESF's Department of Environmental Studies. She writes creative nonfiction and poetry that explore feminist and environmental issues. The full-length book of poetry is published by Main Street Rag Publishing, an independent press in Charlotte, North Carolina.
DeBaise's poetry and essays have appeared in numerous journals, including Orion Magazine, Portland Review, North American Review, and Southwest Review. Her poetry chapbook Of a Feather was published by Finishing Line Press as part of their New Women's Voices Series.
Recent ESF News
- ESF to Host Virtual Career and Internship Fair
- ESF Hosts Semester-Opening Virtual Family Sessions
- Professionals in Sustainability Webinar Series at ESF
- ESF Welcomes New Counsel
- ESF Researchers to Perform Critical Water Quality Investigations on Cayuga Lake
- Dr. Hyatt Green to Speak on Predicting the Next Outbreak
- Latest Issue of Unearthed Online
- Maximum Climate Mitigation Potential from Natural Forest Regrowth Lower than Previously Reported
- ESF Researchers Among Top 2% Cited Worldwide
- SUNY ESF Researchers Awarded Nearly $250,000 USDA Wood Innovation Grant
- ESF Soccer Team Helps with Food Recovery
- ESF To Celebrate Graduates
- SUNY ESF Trails Link Adirondack Towns and Resources
- ESF Named a 2020 Economic Champion
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210