ESF Professorís Poetry Book Addresses #MeToo Topics
Janine DeBaiseís book Body Language tackles taboo topics
A new book of ecofeminist poetry by Janine DeBaise, a professor at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), delves into the once-taboo topics of rape and sexual assault in a lyrical critique of American culture.
DeBaise questions the sexist practices of her childhood church and takes a jab at Disney in her a vision of a body-positive world. Her book Body Language begins with a breastfeeding woman comparing her measurements to those of a life-size Barbie doll.
The book ends with a celebration of the body and an affirmation of the ways that nature, community and friendship can lead to healing.
DeBaise teaches writing and literature in ESF's Department of Environmental Studies. She writes creative nonfiction and poetry that explore feminist and environmental issues. The full-length book of poetry is published by Main Street Rag Publishing, an independent press in Charlotte, North Carolina.
DeBaise's poetry and essays have appeared in numerous journals, including Orion Magazine, Portland Review, North American Review, and Southwest Review. Her poetry chapbook Of a Feather was published by Finishing Line Press as part of their New Women's Voices Series.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Students Honored With Chancellorís Award for Student Excellence
- ESF Announces Plans for Fall 2021 Semester
- Dr. Rundell Named Editor-in-Chief of International Scientific Journal for Molluscs
- ESF Receives SUNY Grant for Food Pantry Refrigeration
- Vote for Oakie in SUNYís 2021 Mascot Madness
- ESF Hosts Mini Maple Weekend at Heiberg Forest
- SUNY Announces Grand Opening of Vector Biocontainment Lab at Upstate Medical to Research Infectious Diseases
- Tap Into Maple Syrup at Heiberg Forest
- March Mammal Madness Takes to Twitter
- ESF Student Honored with Award for Student Excellence
- Vending Machines Part of the Plastic-Free Solution
- ESF Hires Project Director for NYS Center for Sustainable Materials Management
- Class Crosses Continents to Prepare Consultants
- ESF Against the Stigma of Mental Illness Promotes Mental Health Awareness
- ESF Helps Give Westcott Reservoir Expanded Purpose
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210